Monterey Chicken on the Grill
Monterey Chicken – Sweet & Spicy Barbecue chicken topped with thick cut bacon and smothered in Monterey Jack and Sharp Cheddar
#MontereyChicken #MontereyGrilledChicken #howtobbqright
Grilled Monterey Chicken
I’m not sure who first came up with this idea, but whenever I see it on a menu, something inside just tells me to order it. You don’t have to go out for this dish; it’s really easy to make right at home.
Here’s my version of Monterey Chicken: I start with boneless, skinless chicken breast seasoned with a good dose of my Grande Gringo Mexican seasoning –
Let it hang out at room temperature while I fire up the grill. For this cook I use my Traeger Pellet Grill set for indirect cooking at 325 degrees. You can use your favorite wood pellet for smoke flavor; I like cherry because it’s a mild, sweet smoke that’s excellent on chicken.
As soon as the grill is ready, place the chicken breast on the cooking rack and let it roll for 20-25 minutes. This is a good time to prep the remaining ingredients. Cook the bacon on a sheet pan in the oven and roughly chop it, grate the Monterey and Cheddar cheese (you could use pre shredded but freshly grated melts better), and chop the green onion for garnish.
At the 25 minute mark I like to start monitoring the internal temp. Use a probe thermometer first set for 155 degrees at first. This is the point where the chicken breasts are glazed with bbq sauce. Transfer each breast to a flat iron skillet – and top with Killer Hogs BBQ Sauce – Continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 in the thickest part of the breast.
Then I add crumbled bacon and a ton of both Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheese. The skillet goes back on the grill for 3-5 minutes to melt all the cheesy goodness.
Just before serving garnish the chicken with sliced green onions and it’s ready to serve. I don’t anyone who doesn’t like this dish. It’s great served with mashed potatoes, rice, or vegetables and even your kids will eat this one!
Monterey Chicken Recipe
Monterey Chicken Ingredients:
– 4 – Chicken Breast boneless/skinless
– 2oz Grande Gringo Mexican Seasoning
– 12oz Bacon crumbled
– 4oz Monterey Jack Cheese
– 4oz Cheddar Cheese
– 1 cup Killer Hogs Bbq Sauce
– 2-3 Green Onions chopped
Monterey Chicken Directions:
1. Prepare pellet grill for cooking at 325 degrees using Cherry wood pellets for fuel.
2. Season the chicken breast with the Grande Gringo Mexican seasoning on all sides.
3. Place the breasts on the pellet grill, insert a probe thermometer to monitor internal temperature.
4. When the internal temp reaches 155 transfer the chicken breasts to a flat iron skillet and glaze with Killer Hogs BBQ sauce – Continue to cook the breasts until the internal reaches 165 degrees.
5. Top each breast with crumbled bacon, cheddar, and jack cheese. Return the skillet to the grill and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese melts over the top.
6. Garnish the Monterey Chicken with green onions and serve.
Connect With Malcom Reed:
Malcom’s Podcast –
For Malcom’s BBQ Supplies visit –
Original Source Link